Monday, July 18, 2011

07.18.11 :: It Moved...


One of my favorite episodes of Seinfeld (actually I don't know that there ISN'T a favorite episode - well, maybe the finale) is one in which George goes in for a massage, gets a male masseuse and has some "movement" when the masseuse starts working George's hamstring. SUPER Funny.

I thought of this the other day after working out with my friend and trainer Zac. When we were done with the workout, Zac had me lay down and he started to stretch out my legs and arms. It was like when you see football players on the sidelines after coming out with a cramp. The trainers will grab the player's extremities and stretch them out. Bending, pushing and twisting the player's body to work out the kinks and to get blood flowing. When Zac did that to me... it moved.

But not like George Costanza's movement.

For me, my heart was moved. I was blown away that someone would care enough about me and my journey and my well-being that they'd put their hands on me. That they'd grab hold of my fat ankles and mend my body. That they'd grab my sweaty, chubby wrists and twist me around in order to fix me. After years and years of doing whatever I could to help other people, it was humbling and foreign to have someone do something so... what's the word? Attentive? To be so attentive towards helping me. So serving.

I was moved to the point of tears. Although I blinked them away (I hope) before Zac could see them.

And now, what a motivation! What kind of Jackie would I be if I repaid that attention and service with poor eating and missed workouts?!?  It's like I feel like I have to work even harder to deserve the attention Zac (and Fawn) have paid me.

I have a number of wonderful, giving and supportive people in my life. None more so than my wife, Kate, and my brother, Mitch... But of the people to whom I'm not related or married, I've never been more moved than I am by the actions of Zac and Fawn. Thank you.

1 comment: